Can U.S. Immigrants Receive Supplemental Security Income?

Dec 6, 2013 | Social Security Benefits

Expert SSD Lawyers at Newlin Disability


The federal government offers assistance to citizens who are permanently disabled through programs such as Supplemental Security Income (SSI). However, a common question is whether individuals living in the United States who are not citizens can receive the same benefits. The Supplemental Security Income Lawyers with Newlin Disability explain that the answer to that question is yes, if they meet certain requirements.

The Social Security Administration states an alien may qualify for SSI if they fall under one of seven categories, as well as meet other conditions.

The categories of qualified aliens include those who were:

  • Lawfully Admitted for Permanent Residence (LAPR)
  • Granted conditional entry under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA)
  • Paroled into the United States under the INA for a period of at least one year
  • A refugee admitted into the United States under the INA
  • Granted asylum under the INA
  • Having their deportation held under the INA
  • A “Cuban or Haitian Entrant” under the Refugee Education Act of 1980

These individuals must also:

  • Have been living in the U.S. and receiving SSI on August 22, 1996
  • Have 40 qualifying quarters of work
  • Currently on active duty in the U.S. military
  • Have been lawfully residing in the U.S. prior to August 22, 1996, and are blind or disabled

The law firm’s attorneys recognize how complex the qualifications for Alien SSI Benefits can be. That’s why the firm suggests discussing your case with an attorney if you are considering applying for SSI benefits.

Free Case Evaluation

If you’re navigating the complexities of Social Security disability claims, Newlin Disability is here to provide expert guidance and support. Reach out to our experienced team today, and let us help you understand your options, streamline the application process, and maximize your chances of receiving the benefits you deserve.